Irish Book Review-From a Non Book Worm

Short reviews of Irish books from a guy who likes to read every now and then. Special thanks to Kennys Bookshop and Art Gallery located in Galway, which sends me a great surprise of books every six months.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Little History

Who am I? Why did I start this? What does the title mean? Who will this benefit? Just some of the questions you may be asking. First the basics. A few years back while on my first, and so far only, trip to Ireland, I was in Clifden with my wife when I picked up James Joyce by Edna O'Brien. As I was holed up in my bed and breakfast, wide awake at 3:00 am due to time change, I started reading Edna's book. A few days later while in Galway, I was visiting Anne Omaille at her store on High Street http://www.omaille.com/. For some reason, I told her about the book I purchased in Clifden and she immediately told me I had to go next door and pick up "Nora" by Brenda Maddox. Because of their connection to the "Quiet Man"-(my favorite movie) she also told me about the ultimate guide to the movie. Well, because of that advice, my quick trip to Kenny's Bookshop and Art Gallery has turned into a new hobby that will continue on for a long time.
http://www.kennys.ie/
As the title of the blog suggests, I am not someone who buries their head into books for hours upon hours. I also mean no disrespect to those who do. I just have never been an avid reader, at least by my standards. But when I got back from Ireland, I called Kennys inquiring about the Quiet Man book. During my conversation, I learned of the great Book Parcel service available at Kennys. Let me explain. About every six months, I receive a package from Kennys containing anywhere from 5-7 books with various titles and subjects. Who knows what will be in there. I leave it up to the great staff at Kennys to decide for me. If there is something I don't like I can send it back, no questions asked. Well, 5 years later, I have read over 30+ books from Ireland, and 10 more from local bookstores here in Omaha.

Why this blog? Well, I am selfish. I want to be able to have a record what I have read and what I liked and didn't like about a certain book. As I get older, my memory may fade and many stories may start to blend together. I will keep a running record of what I am currently reading and add notes about past books as I go forward. I am not the literary type. I am not a book worm. In fact during high school and college, I was forcing myself to get through any reading assignments. My notes and comments may not make sense except to me. The reviews or notes may ramble on, so be prepared. Who knows I may be the only one every on this site. So that this is what this all about. Enjoy! I hope you find my reviews enlightening and helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home